Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Brittanie the Yeller

A while back I made a personal goal to not be a yeller anymore.  I mean, I never really was *that* bad, but enough that it bothered me.  Mostly because it bothers Erin so much.  You can just see it in her face and she crumples, and it make me feel terrible that I would do that to my child.  So I decided to stop.  I wanted to be one of those people that people would say "yeah, she never yells.  She's always so calm."  I wanted my children to feel safe.  I wanted my children to hear what I was saying not the emotion that the tone of my voice made them feel.  After all, no real communication can happen when there is yelling happening.

Well, since becoming pregnant I've unfortunately taken a gigantic step backward and I hate it.  What's more, Erin has started yelling at Patrick.  And it's my fault.  So I wanted to make my goal public, so that I feel held accountable for it.

I will not yell at my children.  I have control over myself.  I am the adult and they are expecting me to make their home a safe haven, and I refuse to keep on failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment